Monday, October 20, 2014

Intramural Game 1 Update

How's it going everyone? Just finished my first game and I promised an post-game analysis, so here it is! First off, here are some game info from the top my head. 
30 minute game with 15 minute halves. 
Final score: 39-38 (W)
My stats: 9 points, 1 assist, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1steal, 1 turnover. 3/3 FG, 0/0 3P FG, 1/5 FT. 

Overall, I felt that I played an above average game, considering that we were playing as a team for the first time and that the referees were amateurs. I had three 3-point plays (and oneeeee!!! Feels good to be able to do those again) but only managed to convert 1 out of the 3 free throws – which to me is disappointing, because had I made my foul shots, the game would not have been that close. Also, I would have liked to shot at least one 3 pointer but the defense was playing me tight which allowed me to penetrate into the paint. 

Moving on to my team's performance as a whole, we weren't able to secure rebounds and had to many one on one attempts at scoring. Had we box out more effectively, not allow offensive rebounds, move the ball more on offense, and have more off-ball movement, the game would have been easily won.

Here's some basketball IQ for those of you still learning the game: boxing out and securing rebounds is key to winning games. Not only do you control the flow of the game with rebounds, you also disallow your opponent to have second chances at scoring. The lower their attempts at scoring, the lower points they're going to score. Next, moving the ball and having off-ball moving allows your offense to flow. If not, it becomes stagnant at a spot and the defense can easily read and defend you because they know where the attack is coming from. With ball and off-ball movement, you are now forcing the defense to work and move as well. Not only will they be tired, it will also cause confusion and lapses on their part, creating open shots for yourself. 

Okay, back to the game. We were up by 8 at one point, but we lost our focus and allowed the opponent to come back. Luckily, we managed to hold them off to win by one. Nevertheless, it goes to show how the game can be easily turned with a team going on a scoring run. Thus, it is important not to relax when you think you have a comfortable lead. At higher levels, even a 20 point lead can disappear in a flash. On the flip side, never give up on the game just cause you're down by 10 plus points. Having that mental attitude of never giving up is important because if you don't believe you can make a comeback, who will? Also, winning a game after being down by 15+ points is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world. Trust me. 

I guess that's all for today's game. Next game is on Thursday and I will be doing another post-game analysis on that as well. See ya next time! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment